As mamas, one of our biggest dreams is that our children will love their body and exhibit as much confidence in themselves, as we love them. In this episode, I was joined by Carly Anderson. Carly is the motherhood blogger behind Lipgloss and Crayons and the founder of the #justwearthesuit movement on Instagram.
We talk about why she got into body positivity and how she came to the realization that she was equipped to empower herself and her daughter. Carly shares why our world needs a diverse representation of beauty, what the community of moms behind the #justwearthesuit is like and what women can do now to help impact our future generations in a positive way.
WHAT’S IN THIS EPISODE:
- How Carly’s career has transitioned due to motherhood and how she started her blog
- Her realization that she was equipped to empower her daughter
- How her work is inspired by empowering her daughter and herself
- The reasoning behind her blog post on the reasons she doesn’t tell her daughter she’s pretty
- Her thoughts on the importance of playing with toys outside of gender roles
- Why Carly is passionate about body positivity
- Why body love and acceptance is an issue for women
- What women can do now to help cause change for future generations
- Why a diverse representation of what beauty is in our world is needed
- The messages she received from other moms around her campaign, #justwearthesuit
- Her next plans for #justwearthesuit and the community behind it
LINKS & RESOURCES MENTIONED:
- Connect with Carly:
MORE ABOUT THE BODY POSITIVE FOUNDER:
I’m a former inner city elementary school teacher married to a professional musician living in Southern California and chasing our dreams with reckless abandon. I believe that hard work pays off, that community is more important than competition, and that women are stronger together. I know that society tells us that there is one form of beauty, and I’m here to tell my daughter (and yours) that that isn’t the truth. We lead by example, and I’m setting my own insecurities aside to be a role model to the future world leader living in my house.
I’m a public speaker, a community builder, a bathing suit collector, a body positivity influencer, a blogger, a writer and a truth teller.
OUR FAVORITE BODY QUOTES FROM CARLY ANDERSON:
“You don’t erase 30 to 40 years of negative talk in just a day.”
“Teaching your children that you value something that has nothing to do with physical appearance is going to go a long way.”
“For children, representation is a huge deal.”