Has motherhood ever inspired you to start a business of your own?
Today we’re chatting with Mary Clavieres, the owner and CEO of Brief Transitions about how one of the most challenging and overwhelming parts of the postpartum experience led her to start a new business venture.
Mary started an underwear line specifically for postpartum women after she realized how much the product was desperately needed and not easy to find outside of the white mesh ones that we all steal from the hospital.
She shares some time blocking strategies she uses for juggling being a momma and entrepreneur and why she does something each morning to fill up her cup before getting started on her workday.
We also talked about how she made the leap from her corporate job to entrepreneurship, how motherhood influences her business and tips for building your career outside of motherhood.
WHAT’S IN THIS EPISODE:
- Her product’s recent feature in What to Expect
- How a difficult postpartum experience resulted in her starting her business
- How her life and career has shifted due to motherhood
- What she would tell an expectant mother about postpartum life
- Mary’s journey of launching her business and how she hopes to support new moms
- How she came up with the idea for her product and the process for bringing it together
- What Mary did to make it work while juggling her corporate job, starting her business and being a mom
- What surprised her about the transition away from corporate and building her business
- Her tips for staying focused and managing your schedule to get work done efficiently
- Why she does an activity to fill up her cup before starting her workday
- The most appreciative lesson she’s learned while growing her company
- Common fears and roadblocks she sees other women in business face
- What parenthood has taught her about being a business owner
- Mary’s thoughts on what a self-made career path is teaching her girls
- What she hopes to be most proud of looking back
- Her tips on media relations for your business and getting placements in publications and podcasts
LINKS & RESOURCES MENTIONED:
- Connect with Mary:
MORE ABOUT THE FOUNDER OF BRIEF TRANSITIONS:
My childbirth experience was not dreamy and blissful. It was long and exhausting — I’m sure most women can relate to that. After being in labor for 20+ hours I ended up having a C-section for medical reasons. I was extremely sore from my incision and I couldn’t wear regular underwear for quite some time.
There are few things that are truly essential after childbirth – mesh underwear is one of those things (regardless of whether you have a C-section or not). After giving so many of my friends the same advice that my friend gave me, I wanted to make mesh underwear more available to women everywhere
Motherhood has been the hardest and best part of my life. It also made me passionate about speaking out to ensure other women don’t feel alone during their first moments as a new mother.
OUR FAVORITE QUOTES FROM MARY CLAVIERES:
“People are so used to hiding the hard stuff.”
“I just took it one step at a time really.”
“I can’t be successful in my business if I am putting everyone else first.”
“I believe in the power of getting your message out there.”
“Just start. Just try it. Just do one thing to try to do it.”