Do you often wonder what your child really needs to be eating? Child Nutrition is not easy!
Today we have on Jessica Gust, a pediatric dietitian and the founder of Element Nutrition Co. to talk about nutrition for kids and how to handle picky eaters.
Some children are extremely particular about their food, which let’s face it, can be really exhausting for us mamas. But why are kids picky about eating and how do we get them to learn to like the foods that offer the nutrients and vitamins they need for growth and development?
Jessica shares how to teach kids to like certain foods and why family meals are crucial for our children from a very young age. She discusses the differences of baby-led weaning vs. traditional weaning, how to use comfort foods at mealtime and how to know when it’s time to start your baby on solid foods.
WHAT’S IN THIS EPISODE:
- How Jessica felt being featured in notable places
- How motherhood changed Jessica’s career and life and showed her that not everything goes as planned
- What a pediatric dietitian is and how they help families with child nutrition
- Key factors to consider when raising “healthy” children
- Why most children don’t like vegetables and how to teach kids to like certain foods
- How your taste buds change and evolve over time
- Why family meals are essential for teaching kids socialization, role modeling and table manners
- Using comfort foods to help kids be more comfortable at mealtime
- Incorporating kids into meal preparation in any way they can
- Letting your children make choices around meals and giving them the structure to make good choices
- How to know if you’re dealing with a picky eater and when to seek out extra help
- What types of vitamin or supplements are needed for babies and breastfeeding moms
- How long a newborn baby needs to be on breastmilk and formula before starting solid foods
- Following your babies lead when transitioning to more solid foods
- What baby-led weaning is and how to incorporate this method
- How refined sugar affects babies and toddlers
LINKS & RESOURCES MENTIONED:
- Child Nutrition info!
- Picky Eating E-Guide
- Starting Solids E-Guide
- Baby Led Weaning vs. Traditional-Which Is Best?
- The Best “First Foods” for Baby Led Weaning
MORE ABOUT ELEMENTS NUTRITION CO. & CHILD NUTRITION:
Hello! I’m Jessica, founder and owner of Element Nutrition Company, LLC. Growing up in Michigan, I learned the importance of family mealtimes and child nutrition early on. Each night my family would gather around the dinner table distraction-free, enjoy our meal, and discuss our day. This routine became a model for healthy behavior throughout my life and one I enjoy sharing with others.
I was drawn to specialize in childhood nutrition. I love having the opportunity to help families grow and flourish by making a positive, lifelong impact. By teaching proper nutrition at an early age, I can help parents shape their family’s outlook on food and meals for a better future.
OUR FAVORITE QUOTES FROM JESSICA GUST RDN:
“It takes a long time for children to learn to like or be willing to try new food.”
“You can’t take shame in parenthood otherwise you’re just going to feel defeated all the time.”
“Forcing your kid to eat something doesn’t really help necessarily and it can actually make it harder in the long run for them to like it.”
“Absolutely let your kids get involved with the menu but have the structure in place to help them and guide them to make a good choice.”