Do you ever feel overwhelmed by the little choices you have to make every day for your kids?
In this episode, we were joined by Stephanie Leshney, founder of Dabble and Dollop, a clean product line designed for families who want to have more fun in the tub!
With over 20 years of experience in the cosmetic industry, Stephanie walked us through behind the scenes information on cosmetic and personal care ingredients (and tips for which ingredients to use on children).
She shares different things you can look out for and be cognizant of when shopping for personal care items. You’ll learn more about what it means for products to be “clean”, how innovation is driven in the industry and what you should know about essential oils and fragrance in your products!
WHAT’S IN THIS EPISODE:
- What press mention she’s most proud of
- How she got into this career path and how her career shifted due to motherhood
- What drives innovation in the cosmetics industry
- How the industry has become ingredient-led
- Label tricks to be aware of and things to keep on your radar when shopping for cosmetics
- What to know about preservatives
- Her opinion on customizable products
- The pros and cons of essential oils and fragrance is products
- Tips for finding products for your child under the age of 2
- Her transition from working in her dad’s company to starting her own business
- How she came up with her business, Dabble & Dollop
- Her advice on showing your kids vulnerability and imperfection
LINKS & RESOURCES MENTIONED:
- Connect with Stephanie:
MORE ABOUT THE FOUNDER OF DABBLE AND DOLLOP:
Stephanie Leshney spent twenty years in the natural ingredient business and ran one of the largest ingredient suppliers in the Western US. She dreamed up Dabble and Dollop as a way to bottle the sense of magic, experimentation and imagination she witnessed during her family business’ annual “Kids Science Day”, where she turned the office into an interactive laboratory where kids made their own shampoos, bubble baths and more.
It was at home later that evening, while giving her own three bubble bath-crazed toddlers a bath, that the product idea for Dabble & Dollop started to take shape. She watched as her kids mixed the bubble bath with the shampoo and recognized an opportunity to create a better bath experience.
OUR FAVORITE QUOTES FROM STEPHANIE LESHNEY:
“Being on the back end of the cosmetics industry especially on the ingredients side has been super eye-opening and interesting.”
“Just reading ingredients alone doesn’t tell the whole story.”
“Fragrance is one of the most important parts of the experience of using a personal care product.”
“I don’t want my daughters growing up thinking they have to be perfect.”
“You can have it all.”