Have you ever found yourself struggling with juggling the mental load?
Our guest for today’s episode joined us to discuss the mental load & her movement, #thejuggleisreal.
As a mama, entrepreneur and wife – Nina wanted to find something that could express what most of us mothers feel on the day to day: which is the constant need to manage the juggle of our mental load and our mental to-do list that is always piling up.
The constant juggling that often leads us moms burnt out. Nina works to help create realistic conversations around motherhood without the sugarcoating you might see in your Instagram feed.
She shares practical, real-life solutions to help you lighten your mental load. We discuss maternal gatekeeping and how this can contribute to an even larger mental load and how the mental load affects your partner dynamics.
WHAT’S IN THIS EPISODE ABOUT THE MENTAL LOAD:
- How motherhood has made Nina more conscious and ambitious
- The realities of juggling mom life on a daily basis in motherhood
- Not knowing what others are going through and what their mental load is
- How technology has changed our generation of moms and the impact this has on our mental load
- Dealing with difficult pregnancies and a miscarriage and the impact this had on her
- Not wanting to burden anyone and the burden this brought on to her mental health
- How the #thejuggleisreal came about
- What maternal gatekeeping is and how it causes fathers to feel less capable
- Real-life solutions for easing your mental load such as hiring a mother’s helper, using Amazon and delegating tasks to others
- Playing on your strengths and weaknesses and taking on tasks that are best for your skills
- How the juggle plays into the mental load and the response Nina’s gotten from #thejuggleisreal
- How Nina feels about mommy guilt
- Her experience with shooting her video series and how therapeutic it was for her
- Why being connected and present with your support network will help with your mental load
- Nina’s professional retreat for female financial advisors and her goal for helping other women unwind, disconnect and work on themselves personally and professionally
LINKS & RESOURCES MENTIONED:
Connect with Nina:
MORE ABOUT NINA O’NEAL:
Nina O’Neal is a Partner & Investment Advisor with Archer Investment Management. She is a writer on practice management and industry topics for Financial Planning Magazine. She was named a 2019 Investopedia Top 100 Financial Advisor.
Nina is the founder and organizer of the Female Advisor Network, a national membership organization dedicated to empowering female financial advisors. She has a passion for helping to drive industry advancement for female financial advisors as well as all women in financial services.
As host of “The Juggle is Real,” a video series with InvestmentNews, she candidly shares the unique challenges of working parents.
OUR FAVORITE QUOTES FROM NINA O’NEAL ABOUT THE MENTAL LOAD:
“I remember the first time I heard the actual term mental load I was so relieved because it put a name on what I felt and I realized that other people had identified it too.”
“Being invisible is almost dangerous and I think that’s where a lot of women struggle.”
“Most of my balls can’t be dropped or I don’t want them to be, they’re all very important. So the constant need to prioritize when things are equally important has been very difficult.”