In this episode, I was joined by Dr. Heather Maguire, host of the Prism Parenting podcast and the founder of Prism Behavior.
Heather and I talked about how we got started in our respective careers before diving into how you can thrive as a parent and family during this challenging time. We talked about creating structure during COVID, our experiences with homeschool and at-home preschool and tips on using a reward system to change the dynamic at home.
We also explored ways you can find balance in your life and why you need to ditch mom guilt (and prioritize me-time). You’ll hear the importance of taking care of yourself as a mama and our advice on living in the present moment.
WHAT’S IN THIS EPISODE:
- Why Heather started Prism Parenting and Prism Behavior
- Heather’s thoughts on the transition of putting structure back into our lives during the pandemic
- How Lara and Heather create structure for their kids
- Why Heather moved to homeschool for this school year and Lara’s experience with at-home preschool
- How to use a rewards system to change the dynamic in your home
- Lara’s tips on finding balance in your daily life
- What you can do to prioritize me-time without mom guilt
- Why you have to take care of you as a mom
- Their advice about how to stop worrying
- Why we have to stop living for the future and capture joy in the present moment
LINKS & RESOURCES MENTIONED:
- Connect with Heather
- Prism Parenting: Looking at Behavior in a Different Light
- Busy Toddler Instagram
- Toddler 411 Featuring Megan Pierson of Potty Shop Part 1
- Toddler 411 Featuring Megan Pierson of Potty Shop Part 2
- Free Behavior Guide
- Always We Begin Again: Stepping into the Next, New Moment
- The Daily Stoic: 366 Meditations on Wisdom, Perseverance, and the Art of Living
- Lara Schulte Coaching
MORE ABOUT THE HOST OF PRISM PARENTING:
Professionally, I have spent over a decade studying behavior and working with children, parents, and educators. I am a Board Certified Behavior Analyst-Doctoral (BCBA-D) with a doctorate in educational psychology. Currently I’m a professor teaching behavior analysis courses to grad students at a local university.
Several years back, I was working with kids with significant behavior challenges. Parents who did not qualify for intensive, in-home services began asking me for resources. Fast forward to now… Prism Behavior is changing that!
My family lives in Aliso Viejo, California. We are blessed to be close to the ocean and only a few hours from mountains.
Volunteering in our church and community is really important to us. We are very involved with a non-profit organization called Safe Families, which supports families in crisis.
My husband Nate is my best friend. We’ve been married for almost a decade and a half, and I still look forward to our regular date nights!
OUR FAVORITE QUOTES FROM DR. HEATHER MAGUIRE of PRISM PARENTING:
“Visual reminders of what’s next creates that stability. If kids don’t know what’s going on or what their day is going to look like then immediately their anxiety is going to go up.”
“Things that are harder we do less frequently. So make Instagram a little harder to do and make something else in your life a little easier to do.”
“We need to stop living for the future because we don’t know when this quote-unquote new normal – we don’t know if things will go back, how they will go back so we need to start to accept where we’re at now.”
“Tomorrow’s not guaranteed.”