In celebration of Father’s day this month, we are doing something a little different on the podcast these next few weeks. For the first time ever, we are going to be bringing on dads to hear their perspective on fatherhood. Today’s guest is Sean Donahue of Parenting Modern Teens. We discuss how parenting children in today’s age looks different than in prior generations and how we can better parent teens and children. This episode will help you step away from fear-based parenting and feel encouraged to talk to your kids about feelings and emotions rather than teaching them right from wrong.
What’s In This Episode:
- Sean’s background and how he got started
- How Sean’s began his career working with kids and teens
- The changes that happened in his life and career after kids
- Why parenting looks different today than it did in previous generations
- Modern parenting and how parenthood has evolved
- Living in fear while parenting
- Where Sean’s passion for teenagers comes from
- His process for coaching and the approaches he uses
- Sean’s advice for embracing the behaviors of adolescence
- False beliefs that parents have
- How children change your marriage
- Where influences on our children come from
- Being careful of what our children are exposed to
- Emotion coaching for our kids
- Why presence is crucial in parenting
Over the last 20 years, Sean has led countless coaching sessions in family’s homes, at Starbucks, while walking in the pars…and about once a month, a family jokes with him and asks if he would move in with them.
Back in 2004, Sean saw the TV show SuperNanny …and was inspired! He said to his wife Danielle, “I would love to do that…help parents and teens…I should become the Teen SuperNanny!” Years later, that crazy idea a became a reality.
Sean has mentored teenagers who have become Hollywood TV and film stars, YouTube stars, CEOs, TV and news personalities, reality television stars, business entrepreneurs, and college athletes.
More importantly, Sean has helped thousands of young men and women become mature, kind, responsible, loving adults; many of whom have now become happy, healthy parents themselves.
Sean did his undergrad at UCSD and has a Masters from Golden Gate.
Sean enjoys sports, fishing, backpacking, concerts and connecting with his 5,000+ followers on Instagram.
Connect with Sean:
“Prison inmates spend more time outside than American children do.” – Sean Donahue
“Kids haven’t changed. What has changed is their world.” – Sean Donahue
“I still dress like a teenager. I still think a little bit like a teenager. This is just my calling in life.” – Sean Donahue
“Being a parent and being in a committed relationship, those are two of the hardest things I’ve ever done.” – Sean Donahue
“Our kids need this wisdom. Modern kids need it now more than ever because they aren’t going to get it from a screen.” – Sean Donahue
“Stay strong. Be close. Teach wisdom.” – Sean
“Fear when it comes to parenting, especially a parent of a teen can just really wreck somebody. And it can really wreck a relationship with a teenager.” – Sean Donahue
“A parents voice is the most influential voice in a child’s life.” – Sean Donahue
“Presence fosters closeness.” – Sean Donahue