Have you ever felt shamed by a healthcare provider, especially during pregnancy? Today’s guest is Jen McLellan, founder of Plus Mommy. She started her blog after her own plus size pregnancy when she realized there weren’t enough resources out there for pregnant plus-sized women.
In this episode, Jen talks about her experience of using a midwife and the misconceptions that many plus-sized women face during their pregnancy, labor and delivery.
We also chat about the shame that many plus size pregnant women feel from healthcare providers and why the language that healthcare providers use when speaking with patients matters. Jen shares how to teach children to embrace people of all sizes and what “body love” means to her.
WHAT’S IN THIS EPISODE:
- Jen’s experience with Dove at Mom 2.0
- Why Jen opted to go with natural birth and how her pregnancy led her to start her blog
- Jen’s experience of working with an OBGYN vs. a midwife
- The importance of the language that care providers use with patients is
- What you should look for from a care provider for your pregnancy
- Misconceptions that plus size women face during their pregnancy, labor and delivery
- Becoming certified as a childbirth educator and her goal of getting in front of care providers to help educate them on plus sized pregnancies
- Teaching children to embrace and be inclusive of people of size
- Shifting your perception of “good” vs “bad” foods and your body
- How having someone there to support you will make care providers less likely to shame you
- What “body love” means to Jen
- Being mindful of people of all different backgrounds and experiences
LINKS & RESOURCES MENTIONED:
- Mom 2.0 Conference
- Finding a Size Friendly Healthcare Provider
- 7 Things To Pack In Your Hospital Bag When You’re Plus Size
MORE ABOUT THE FOUNDER OF PLUS MOMMY & PLUS SIZE PREGNANCY:
Jen McLellan is a published author and founder of Plus Size Birth and the Plus Mommy blog. Helping people navigate the world of plus size pregnancy, Jen shares tips for embracing your body and laughs her way through the adventures of parenthood.
She authored My Plus Size Pregnancy Guide and co-wrote the Amazon bestseller, The Peachie Moms Guide to Body Love for Moms. Also a childbirth educator, skilled patient advocate, professional speaker, wife, and mother to a charismatic 7-year-old, Jen has it all!
OUR FAVORITE QUOTES FROM JEN MCLELLAN:
“If you want to experience something, don’t allow your size to hold you back.”
“There’s just this overall assumption that plus size women can’t have a healthy pregnancy.”
“I think we’re all struggling, even people who’ve been working really hard to love and embrace themselves. We’re all going to have bad body days.”
“Body love is no longer having to apologize for your body and no longer feeling like you have to put yourself in uncomfortable, undignified situations because of how you look.”