Does the thought of introducing allergenic foods to your kids terrify you?
We wanted to bring on an expert to help us understand food allergens and children, so we brought on Katie Marks-Cogan. She is a board-certified allergist and the chief allergist at Ready, Set, Food!. Ready, Set Food! is a company that has created a way to introduce common food allergens to your kids.
Katie breaks down a lot of the myths we hear about food allergies. Katie also shares how food allergies are developed over time, as well as the differences between an intolerance and an allergy.
Additionally, you’ll hear how food allergies have become more of an epidemic compared to previous generations. As well as how you can use Ready, Set, Food! to prevent food allergies for your little ones.
WHAT’S IN THIS EPISODE:
- Katie’s experience of being on Shark Tank and getting a deal with Mark Cuban
- How Katie’s career and life has changed since becoming a mom
- How food allergies have changed over the past generations
- The differences between an allergy intolerance and an actual allergy
- Managing the differences between an allergen and an intolerance
- Using an elimination diet to diagnose food intolerances
- Why your food choices won’t play a role in your baby’s potential food allergies
- Myths and facts about early allergen introduction
- How food allergies are developed over time
- What it means to be sensitized to food and how that’s different than a food allergy
- Learn how to use their products to help prevent food allergies
- Did you know that babies with eczema are exposed to food allergies through their skin barrier
LINKS & RESOURCES MENTIONED WITH READY, SET FOOD!
- Connect with Katie:
o Ready, Set, Food! Use promo code: Generation.Mom15 for 15% off through February 2020
MORE ABOUT THE FOUNDER OF READY, SET, FOOD!:
I’m an allergist and mother of two. I chose to introduce my two year old son, David, to allergenic foods. I did this early and often, and I couldn’t believe how much work it was!
And yet, I knew there was a better way. Therefore, with a great team of leading pediatricians, allergists, and food scientists, we developed the formulation behind Ready, Set, Food! to make early and sustained allergen introduction easy for busy families and picky eaters.
OUR FAVORITE QUOTES FROM DR. KATIE MARKS-COGAN:
“Food allergies have almost become like an epidemic in our society.”
“Babies aren’t born with food allergies, they develop over time as our immune system develops.”
“There currently is no true cure for food allergy.”
“The earlier the better in terms of risk of developing a food allergy, as the baby gets older the risk increases.”