Have you been looking for an alternative approach for teaching your children? Today on the podcast we bring on Simone Davies to talk about the Montessori method of education. Simone is an international educator and AMI Montessori teacher. She has been working in Montessori education for 15 years and is passionate about how its methods help parents garner greater happiness and fulfillment with their children. She shares specific activites they use in the Montessori school, why its important to let children make their own decisions and how this method will make your home life run smoother.
What’s In This Episode:
- How Simone’s life has changed as a mother
- What the Montessori approach to education is
- The mixed age classrooms in Montessori
- How the Montessori classroom is set up
- Setting up the environment to be cozy
- Specific activities that Montessori schools focus on
- Using work cycles to not break the child’s concentration
- Incorporating motor movement into activities
- What motivated Simone to write her book
- Leaving children in charge and giving them the choice to choose
- Letting children guide their own experience
- How the Montessori method makes things run smoother
- Easy way to start implementing the Montessori method in your home
- Encouraging other caregivers to use the Montessori principles
- Reinforcing good behavior to build their intrinsic motivation
- Modeling behavior for children
- What Simone is excited about
I am a Montessori teacher and mother of 2 children who have attended Montessori right up through primary school. I trained through the Association Montessori Internationale (AMI).
I wanted to find a way to be with my kids that wasn’t me bossing them about, threatening them and bribing them. Or giving them free reign either. And I wanted them to have a positive experience of school, not just to pass tests, but to love learning.
Finding Montessori has helped me so much and I would love to help you enjoy these ideas in your home too.
I have been working in Montessori education for nearly 15 years and I’m passionate about working with both children and their parents. In Amsterdam, I run parent-child classes at Jacaranda Tree Montessori. Here I work 1-on-1 with families to answer their questions and help them get ideas to set up their homes too.
Connect with Simone:
“Instead of the teacher choosing what to teach, its the child who chooses what they want to learn.” – Simone Davies
“By having the classes, children are forced to have more independence.” – Simone Davies
“We’re always trying to build independence into the space.” – Simone Davies
“The youngest children can do so much for themselves when you set them up for success.” – Simone Davies
“I really found that Montessori for me is just a much more relaxing way. It’s supportive to the child but also respecting our own needs as well.” – Simone Davies
“That’s the first step is just being mindful of your language.” – Simone Davies
“It’s definitely like learning a new language and it doesn’t happen overnight but we do try to keep it simple and respectful.” – Simone Davies
“Allow yourself a little grace. There are going to be moments when you just react and maybe your not as mindful as you want to be.” – Lara Schulte
“What we do is much more powerful than what we say.” – Simone Davies
“Your child is a mirror of what you bring into the world.” – Simone Davies
“We can show up most as a parent by guiding them even when things don’t go their way.” – Simone Davies
The Montessori Toddler